Sad News was heard on Wednesday morning, October 8th, as we learned of the passing of one of our senior students. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and the entire Scorpion community. A grief counseling center was immediately set up in our Career Center with ACHS counselors, as well as volunteers from Camarillo Hospice, City Impact, Luddington Institute, the District Office, and others. All students who felt the need to seek out the Grief Center were encouraged to do so. The Grief Center has been open the remainder of the week for students.
Congratulations to the following staff members for being chosen as SUPERB STAFF:
- Monika Carroll, Attendance/Records
- Will Falconer, Teacher
- Francesca Gurney, Teacher
- Debbie Prentice, Career Center
- Chris Quinn, Teacher
- Amy Streicher, Teacher
ASB has organized a Pinata Scavenger Hunt to be held today during lunch in the Quad. It is a class competition where all grade levels will be represented. They will break a piñata, find a card inside with the picture of an item on it, and then go find that item pictured (ie: sombrero, poncho). It promises to be a fun competition!
Clubs have been working on putting the final touches on their Club Constitutions and Budgets this week. The final copies are due today.
APEX and SPARK classes have begun to help those students who are interested in improving their grades.
The ACHS Camarillo FFA organized an E-Waste event recently. It was held at the Camarillo Community Center on Burnley Street. Many people from the community showed up to rid their closets of 20th century technology. It turned out to be a very useful, successful fundraiser. FFA students volunteered at the event.
A Benefit Concert was held on October 4th, beginning at 7:00 pm in the ACHS Quad, entitled “ELIMINATE Maternal/Neonatal Tetanus”. This is an initiative to eliminate material and neonatal tetanus (MNT). MNT kills one baby every nine minutes, but it is curable. A full vaccination only costs $1.80, saving the life of a mother and all her future children. The event was organized by the Kiwins Club. All proceeds from the concert went to “Project ELIMINATE.”
ACHS Homecoming Court 2014 has been named as follows:
- Freshman Prince and Princess: Kolby Dowling and Jordyn Constantine
- Sophomore Prince and Princess: Charles CJ” Koekemoer and Sydney Bolish
- Junior Prince and Princess: Jake Martin and Grace Anderson
- Senior King and Queen Nominees: Matt Yoshimoto, Stephen Medina, Jalee Brown, and Camille Abutin
Homecoming Rally and Football Game vs. Calabasas are on October 17th. We have Rally Schedule that day and classes are encouraged to wear their colors….Freshmen = Gold, Sophomores = Purple, Juniors = Green, Seniors = Boys wear black and Girls wear white. The Halftime Show during the football game will be complete with the 2014 Homecoming Court and a Fireworks show.
The Homecoming Dance is set for October 18th from 8:00 pm – 11:00 pm behind the Gym. There will be DJ Malski, carnival booths, food, caricatures, a tarot card reader, a photo booth, and much more. Tickets are now on sale at the ASB Bookkeeper Window.
Athletes of the Week are:
- Football Varsity: Christian Hernandez
- Football JV: Caden Muscarella
- Girls’ Volleyball Varsity: Makenna Clark
- Girls’ Volleyball JV: Justine Giorgi
- Girls’ Volleyball F/S: Abby Michalak
- Boys’ Water Polo Varsity: Steven DeStefano
- Boys’ Water Polo JV: Aiden Andrews
- Boys’ Water Polo F/S: Griffin Winter
- Girls’ Tennis: Sara Downey
Recent Athletic Team Scores:
- Girls’ Tennis defeated Moorpark 16-2. The team is currently undefeated after the first round of Coastal Canyon League matches!
- Girls’ Volleyball F/S beat Simi 2-0.
- Girls’ Volleyball JV beat Simi 2-1.
- Girls’ Volleyball Varsity lost to Simi 0-3.
- Freshmen Football was defeated by St. Bonaventure 20-6.
- Girls’ Golf lost to Oak Park 219-260
Spanish teachers have been collaborating to discuss pacing and formative assessments and RtI techniques, among many other items to enhance their students learning.
- Oct. 10 – Home Football Game vs. Saint Bonaventure – Breast Cancer Awareness Theme – Wear pink! Q104.7 will be at the Tailgate Party!!
- Oct. 11 – SAT
- Oct. 13 – No school for students, Staff Development Day
- Oct. 15 – PSAT, periods 1-4 in the Gym
- Oct. 17 – Rally Schedule – Homecoming Rally
- Oct. 17 – Football Game vs. Calabasas – Homecoming Halftime Show
- Oct. 18 – Homecoming Dance from 8:00 – 11:00 pm behind the Gym
- Oct. 20-24 – Red Ribbon Week Activitites
- Oct. 23 – Collegial Collaboration Day
- Oct. 24 – End of First Quarter
- Oct. 24 – Newbury Park Rally – Rally Schedule
- Oct. 27 – Distinguished Student Awards Night, 6:00 pm in the Gym