Bulletin for the week of October 2, 2017
* Parents/Students: Dropping-Off and Picking-Up students before and after school. Please be aware of the posted traffic signs. There is no stopping on Mission Oaks Blvd. in front of the school except in the designated area south of Anguila Place (the street past the crosswalk). The Camarillo Police Department has received several calls regarding these violations and will be citing drivers. Please be aware that it may be easier to drop off at the lower parking lot near the baseball field versus the main front lot. It is a much larger parking lot with much less congestion.
* Students: Please respect our local neighborhoods, and act responsibly. Stay away from vandalism, littering, and public disturbances. Thank you for representing ACHS!
* Are you interested in helping to start up a new, small community service club on campus? If so, please come to an informational meeting about the JOI Club (Junior Optimist International) on Monday, October 2nd (10 minutes into lunch in L-12) (Mrs. Klemann’s classroom). See you there.
* Do you need service hours? Kiwins, CSF, NHS, sport’s patch or teacher required? Starting this year, we are offering a peer to peer tutoring program at lunch! Yes, during the school day extra help will be offered by your own peers for additional academic support. This will begin second quarter. If you are interested in becoming a peer tutor, come by room L-3 or room L-4, Ms. Robey and Ms. Carey’s room and pick up an application. Application deadline is October 13.
* Attention Seniors: Don’t be left out of the yearbook! Yearbook deadlines are approaching. If you haven’t had your senior picture taken at Monarch Photography, please call the studio at 805-843-4111 as soon as possible to set up an appointment. Monarch Photography is the Official Photographer for the Oxnard Union High School District.
* PTSA’s Reflections Contest is under way again this year. The theme is “Within Reach” and students are encouraged to submit individual creative work that interprets this theme through any medium including: dance choreography, music, literature (fiction and non-fiction), photography and visual art. The Deadline is October 13th at 3 pm. Find entry forms and turn in your submissions in room D-1 or contact Mr. Storer.
* Equity Conference-Lightening the Pathway: Moving forward in education:
- Saturday, October 14, 2017
- Oxnard High School
- 8:00 A.M.– 12:30 P.M.
Because OUHSD is committed to social justice, and the education of all children in a safe learning environment, OUHSD feels responsible to provide the community with the information needed to respond, with knowledge, regarding the law and its effects on issues of education for all our children in California. To register and get program information about the event, please go to: lighteningthepathway2017.sched.com/ It is open to anyone interested – students, staff, parents, and community members.
- Transcending Hate: Understanding a culture of Hate.
- What does Social Justice mean in today’s political climate?
- The Cost of Free Speech in our Classrooms.
* College SPARK has started: Bring your college questions to room C-4 on Mondays/Wednesdays 3:10-4:10 and Tuesdays @ lunch and a counselor will be available to answer questions and provide college support! Hope to see you there.
COLLEGE & CAREER CENTER:
* Juniors and Seniors: The ASVAB will be given Nov. 15th This assessment is not only for those interested in the Military, you can learn about what career best fits you. It is only given once a year, so take advantage.
* For scholarship information, please log-in to your school email.
* Please make sure to check your school email or Naviance account weekly for all College & Career Center information including visiting colleges, job opportunities and scholarships.
* Visiting Colleges:
Mount Saint Mary’s: Period 3, October 10th
UCSB: Period 4, October 13th
University of San Francisco: Period 4, October 16th
Westmont College: Period 4, October 17th
Moorpark College: Period 4, October 18th
California Lutheran University: Period 5, October 19th
(Period Change) University of Chicago: Period 5, October 20th
Arizona State University: Period 4, October 23rd
Oxnard College: Period 3, October 23rd
Ventura College: Period 3, October 25th
Stonehill College: Period 1, October 26th
* Engineering Club meets every Monday in room T-12 at lunch.
* Join Interact Club, we meet every Tuesday in room L-1. See you there, Interactors!
* If you love Spongebob and enjoy the first 3 seasons of the show, then Spongebob Club is just the club for you. Bring your lunch and be ready to laugh at the antics of our friends from Bikini Bottom. We hold club meetings every Wednesday at lunch in room i-2. When in doubt, pinky out!
* The ACHS Gay-Straight Alliance Club meets every Friday during lunch in room A-1. ALL PEOPLE ARE WELCOME; ALL ARE EMBRACED and ACCEPTED.
* For the Sports Schedule, please visit http://www.ouhsd.k12.ca.us/blog/achs-spring-sports-schedule/
OXNARD UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT: GRADE REPORT SCHEDULE: First Semester
Friday, Sept 29- End of Progress Grading Period
Friday, Oct 6-Grades Mailed Home
Tuesday, Oct 31- End of 1st Quarter
Friday, Nov 3- Grades Mailed Home,
Friday, Dec. 8-End of Progress Grading Period
Friday, Dec 15- Grades Mailed Home
Friday, Jan 26–End of 1st Semester
Friday, Feb 2-Grades Mailed Home
ACHS COMMUNITY CALENDAR:
* To view the ACHS Calendar please visit http://www.camarillohigh.us/calendar/
ACHS CALENDAR EVENTS: (Note: Dates & Times subject to change)
|October 3||PTSA Meeting||Library, 6:30pm|
|October 5||Collegial Collaboration Day||Collegial Day|
|October 6||Find Kind Screening Assembly||Gym, Periods 3 & 4|
|October 11||Minimum Day/Professional Development Afternoon||Minimum Day|
|October 11||PSAT-all 9th, 10th, 11th grades||Minimum Day|
|October 19||Collegial Collaboration Day||Collegial Day|
|October 19||School Site Council Meeting||E-10, 2:00pm|
|October 23-27||Red Ribbon Week||Various Activities|
|October 26||Collegial Collaboration Day||Collegial Day|
|October 26||ELAC & SSC Training||D0-6:00pm|
|End of First Quarter
Collegial Collaboration Day
|November 10||HOLIDAY ·Veterans’ Day||NO SCHOOL|
|November 15||ELAC Meeting||Library, 6:00pm|
|November 16||Collegial Collaboration Day||Collegial Day|
|November 20-24||HOLIDAY – Thanksgiving||NO SCHOOL|
|November 30||Collegial Collaboration Day||Collegial Day|
|December 1||Fall Sports Rally||Quad, Lunch|
|December 5||PTSA Meeting||Library,6:30pm|
|December 7||Collegial Collaboration Day||Collegial Day|
|December 11||Fall Sports Awards Night||Gym- 7:00pm|
|December 12 & 13||Blood Drive||Cafeteria 1-61h periods|
|December 14||Collegial Collaboration Day||Collegial Day|
|December 20||ELAC Meeting||Cafeteria, 6:00pm|
|December 22-Jan. 5||WINTER BREAK||NO SCHOOL|