House of Representatives
A House of Representatives meeting was held on Tuesday of this week. A student representative from each homeroom class met in the ASB room at the beginning of Homeroom to discuss the following topics:
- Homecoming week
- Homecoming dance
- Club Rush
- Inclusivity month – videos, door decorating, ASB activities in the quad at lunch
- Hispanic Heritage Month
- Parking/permit feedback
It was a productive meeting, and the representatives took their notes from this meeting back to their individual classrooms to discuss with their peers.
The ACHS Geo Bowl is in the process of recruiting students for a competition that will take place on November 17th at Oxnard College. This year’s theme is “Our Changing Climate.” The group meets on Tuesdays, during lunch in Mr. Campos’ room, B-2.
Peer-to-Peer tutoring is being organized again this year. Student volunteers will meet on October 8th at lunch in Room C-6 with Mr. Sanchez. They will learn what is expected to be a tutor. Subject areas for tutoring will be Math, English, Social Science, Science and World Language. This was a very successful program last year with student volunteers tutoring their peers.
PSAT and SAT
Our school is hosting a testing day next Wednesday, October 10th. Freshmen, Sophomores and Juniors will be offered the PSAT, free of charge. Seniors will be offered the SAT free of charge. This is a wonderful opportunity for all students on campus to take these exams.
English teacher, Mark Storer is the person with answers to questions about the Reflections Contest, hosted by our PTSA. It is open to all students who like to produce art, dance, music, writing, photography or other individual creative works. Prizes include scholarship money toward college. Entry forms and information are available from Mr. Storer in Room D-1. The deadline for all Reflections contest entries is October 12th to Room D-1
College and Career Center
The following colleges and universities will be sending representatives to our campus on the dates below. All students, not just seniors, are encouraged to sign-up to meet with these representatives to gather information about their schools.
- October 9: NCPS Essay Workshop at lunch
- October 11: Grand Canyon University – period 4
- October 15: California State University Channel Islands – period 4
- October 18: University of Oregon – period 2
- October 18: Moorpark College Application Day – period 3
- October 19: University of Chicago – period 4
- October 22: FAFSA Application workshop – period 4
- October 25: FAFSA Application workshop – period 4
- October 30: Ventura College Application Day – period 4