Hello OUHSD Students-
All OUHSD students are invited to participate in the 2021 Poetry Slam on Thursday, May 27, 2021, presented by yOUr Digital Library! This year’s THEME is: To My Future Self
Past Poetry Slam participants have had their poetry published and three of our OU students, Unique Shehee (OHS-2018), Genesis Perez (CIHS-2019), and Angelina Leanos (CIHS-2019) went on to become Ventura County Youth Poet Laureates!!!
Poetry Slam entries are due by Wednesday, May 12, 2021:
- Poems should connect to the theme of: To My Future Self
- A poem must be original with a performance that is no more than 3 minutes long and no less than 2 minutes and 30 seconds long.
- If your poem is NOT original or includes borrowed lines, borrowed material must be cited and explained.
- Your poetry submission acknowledges the responsibility to uphold the OUHSD Acceptable Use Policy.
- Teachers are mandated reporters. Any personal content you share that qualifies as abuse will be reported.
- No previous poetry experience is required. All grades and students are welcome and encouraged to participate.
Submit your poem using bit.ly/OUHSDPS21. A group of OUHSD teachers will review the poems and select no more than 15 contestants who will go on to compete in the OUHSD Poetry Slam on Thursday, May 27. You have until WEDNESDAY 5/12 to submit your poem for consideration: bit.ly/OUHSDPS21
Once all the poems have been reviewed, all participants will be notified by one of the Teacher Librarians.
As you prepare for the Slam, be sure to attend yOUr Poetry Workshops with Mr. Salinas, Ventura College Professor, and Master Poet-Teacher in the classroom. The next Workshop is WEDNESDAY, April 28, 2021 from 4:00 pm- 5:00 pm. A Poetry Workshop Google Classroom has been created for students. Join Code: ppd2745. The Meet links for workshops are located in the Google Classroom. You’ll find all the information on the Poetry Workshop page on www.yOUrDigitalLibrary.org
Here’s an overview video if you need it. We look forward to reading your poetry!!